What is Poudre River Public Library's ESL Mentoring Service?
ESL Mentoring is a learner-driven service that provides free mentoring to intermediate adult ESL (English as a Second Language) learners who want to improve their reading, writing, speaking, listening, and grammar skills. Learners receive one-on-one project-based support from volunteer mentors to encourage literacy development and life skills in our community. Our mentors help connect learners to the community through partnerships, collaboration, and resource navigation based on learner goals.
Now accepting applications for ESL Mentor training! Next training is planned for mid-late March 2021. Apply now to reserve a spot!
POSITION: ESL Mentor
PURPOSE: Mentor works one-on-one with ESL adult learners to practice English, work towards a specific goal and create connections to help learners get established in the community. The ESL Mentoring service promotes intercultural understanding and cross-cultural appreciation.
- Meet with designated learner online (amid COVID restrictions) once a week to teach English and work toward an established goal.
- Design and implement 6 to 8-week long projects oriented to a learner's specific goals.
- Prepare a lesson plan before each mentoring session.
- Navigate relevant resources to help learner achieve goals.
- Create "homework" for them to work on in between meetings.
- Communicate any questions or concerns to the ESL Mentoring Coordinator.
Three hours per week (1.5 hours to meet with learner and estimated 1.5 hours of prep time) for a minimum of 6 months.
- At least 18 years old
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English fluently
- Comfortable using technology, proficient with email, basic software, web-based electronic resources and virtual meeting platforms
- Cultural sensitivity, empathy and openness to different values and beliefs
- Patience, enthusiasm and willingness to provide encouragement
- Creativity in designing and structuring projects that benefit learner
- Flexibility to adapt to different learning styles
- Live or work in Poudre River Public Library service area
- Community involvement and/or community connections preferred
- Virtual "live" training sessions
- Online self-guided training assignments provided by ESL Mentoring Coordinator
- Continuous learning opportunities after assignment
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING:
- Make new friends and connections
- Gain teaching experience
- Learn about other cultures
- Contribute to your community
- Make a positive difference in people's lives